Sunday 7 September 2008

5.1


Carbon is the main ingredient of organic molecules, Most carbo-based molecules are classified as organic molecules and non-carbon-based molecules are classified as inorganic molecules. Carbon can bond with atomes of other elements such as water, and molecules that are composed of only water and carbon are called hydrocarbons. Monomers are large molecules that are built from many similar molecular units, and polymers are long chains of monomers.




1. Draw a molecule that has a three-carbon skeleton and a hydroxyl group on the middle carbon.

(I stands for bonds)

______H_____H__-__H
____ ____ I_ I
H ----- C ------- C--------C -------- OH
_____I___ _I___ _I
______H___ _H___ _H


2. Explain the connection between monomers and polymers.
Monomers are smaller molecular units, and polymers are made of monomers.
3.What molecule is released during constuction of a polymer? What is this reaction called?
Each time a monomer is added to a chain, a water molecule would be released, and this is called a dehydration reaction.
4. Draw at least three ways in which five carbon atoms could be joined to make different carbon skeletons.


1. ___________H _____H____ H_____ H_____ H
_____________I______I______I_____ _I_____ I_
_______H ----- C -------- C--------C -------- C-------C-------OH
_____________I_______I_____I_______I_____I__
____________H______ H____ H______ H____ H


2.

_______CH2OH
_________
_________C-----------------------O
___H___ /_I_______________ \_____ H
____\__ /_ H _______________\ ____/
_____\ /____________________ \__ /
_____C_____________________ C
____/ __\ __OH _________ H ___/_ \
___/____ \__I____________I___ /___ \
_HO____ \_I___________ _I__ /____ OH
_________C---------------------C
_________I______________I_
________H_____________OH


3.
__-__H___ H__ O---- H--- H
--------I-------I----II-----I------I---
H-----C-----C--- C-----C----C----H
--------I------I------------I-----I--
-------H ----H ----------H ---H


No comments: